Everybody knows such a disgusting creature as bed bug. For those who were lucky enough to avoid meeting with this pest, I am going to give a short explanation.
Bed bugs are small parasitic insects, about the size of an apple seed, with oval-shaped bodies and no wings. They usually come out and bite at night.
No matter where, no matter when, but all of us have a chance to experience a bed bug infestation.
Here I would like to give some information about these insects and how to deal with them.
Here are some basic facts, which we should know about bed bugs:
1. All bed bugs, including the newly hatched, can be easily seen with the naked eye.
2. The typical life expectancy of a bed bug is about 12 – 18 months.
3. Bed bugs can live for months without food.
4. The female bed bugs can lay up to 300 eggs in her lifetime.
5. It is not known whether the bed bugs transmit diseases, but their bites can cause some people have allergic reactions.
Where bed bug lives and goes into hiding?
Bed bugs often hide in places that are usually near the place where a person sleeps. They can occupy any dark crack or crevice in a room, everything including, clothing, bedding, furniture, electronics, and also space behind the wallpaper and baseboards. In the initial or early stage of infection bed bugs tend to congregate mostly in the seams and folds of mattresses, and then pass into the clefts.
How bed bugs get into the house or apartment?
Bed bugs appear in a house or apartment through the furniture, bedding, clothing and other items that are moving from house to house or apartment to apartment. Furniture, especially beds and mattresses are the most frequent place of accumulation of bed bugs and their eggs, so there must be a thorough examination of these items before you take them into your new house or apartment. Bed bugs also may move between neighboring apartments. If you think your neighbors have an issue with bed bugs, weekly check your bed and living area to identify bed bugs at the earliest stages. Moreover such events as a trip abroad, riding public transit, having guests in your house or purchasing a piece of second hand furniture can offer bed bugs a free ride into your home.
How to know that there are bed bugs in the house?
Bed bug bites are usually the first symptom, with the help of which you may find out that bed bugs are there in your apartment. The bites look like flat welts or red bumps, which are often accompanied by very intense itching. The bites will be regularly, almost every night, usually on the legs and arms. Besides you can see small bleeding spots on the sheets or dark blood spots around your mattress. Also in the room may appear distinctive and unpleasant almond smell.
How get rid of bed bugs?
In order to get rid of bed bugs you should have perseverance, time and patience. Professional extermination of bedbugs is the most effective way, but it is also possible to get rid of bed bugs independently. Here are some activities that you can perform yourself:
1. Vacuum cleaning of mattresses, bedding, carpets and upholstered furniture in order to kill bed bugs and their eggs. Pay particular attention to cracks, crevices and open spaces. Use a scrub brush.
2. Thoroughly clean bedding, linens, curtains, rugs or clothing, where the bug is hiding more often. If you suspect that you have a bed bug in your bed linens and clothing, wash them in hot water at least 90 ° C for at least 20 minutes. In addition, steaming can also be used for sterilization of soft toys, shoes or any other items that can not always be cleaned with hot water.
3. It is necessary to repair and seal cracks and crevices between baseboard. Furthermore, you should remove or glue sagging wallpaper, which are an additional shelter for bed bugs.
4. If necessary, get rid of infested items that can not be cleaned.
It is essential to remember that it is quite difficult to get rid of all bed bugs and their eggs at the first onset. You have to repeat all the activities on a weekly basis to destroy all the insects completely.
Thank you for your attention, I hope you will never have an experience with these creatures and I wish you good luck, if right now you have to struggle with them.