There are not that many long distance moving companies in Boston that offer free onsite estimates.
Things you need to do and know when moving out of state:
- You need to hire a reputable moving company
- Check the BBB and Yelp ratings of your mover
- Double check if your carrier has an active DOT number
- Make sure you’re getting a “not to exceed” price on your long haul move
- Proper packing is a must when it comes to interstate move. Think before packing yourself.
Get a proper consulting on how to pack and which boxes to use if you are packing.
- Packing supplies can be purchased at: HomeDepot, Loew’s or online at www.uline.com
- Make sure you’re getting a proper coverage on your load. Especially if you’re moving far away. Options to consider:
- Moving insurance through the mover is not always the best way to go.
- Third party insurance company like Baker International are a great way to insure your belongings.
- Check in with your insurance agent to see if your shipment can be covered by your homeowner’s insurance policy.
- Movinginsurance.com might be another great option to obtain moving insurance on individual items.
- Arrange for any updates on your address with the bank, post office and any other service providers.
- Double check on the pick-up and delivery dates with your long distance
- Be ready for your movers. Make sure to have all of your belongings in boxes few days before the move. Additional packing and labor could bring in extra charges of couple hundred dollars.